Canada-Thailand Time Zones

Every time I set up a date and time to video call friends and family back home in Canada, I have to start thinking about the different time zones. During most of the year, it's very simple as Eastern Standard Time(GMT -5) and Indochina Time (GMT +7) are exactly twelve hours apart. When it's 5pm here in Thailand, it's 5am in Windsor and Montreal. Easy, right?

However, once that Daylight Saving Time kicks in mid-March, things get slightly more complicated. at least it was complicated until I made the following pictures. And I realized something that makes it very easy, just like most of the year. When it's spring and summer and EST turns into EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), Windsor and Montreal become exactly twelve hours apart from Malaysia. Malaysia Time, or MYT, is always an hour ahead of the clocks in Thailand. I've missed enough busses upon arriving in Malaysia to remember that well enough. 

This makes it very easy to remember the time difference between Thailand and EST in Canada. For most of the year, we're exactly twelve hours apart. Then, when North America goes into DST and EST becomes EDT, Canada becomes exactly twelve hours apart from Malaysia - not all of Canada, but just the places in the EST zone. Most of my friends and family live in Windsor and Montreal and so I don't need to start calculating all six time zones in Canada.


This was the first picture I created to help me make the time conversion easier.

In the second picture, I wanted to incorporate my phone's world clock. Apart from local time, it also shows me the time in Malaysia, Windsor, Turkey, and Germany. When I saw that Windsor is exactly twelve hours apart from Kuala Lumpur, I realized this makes it very easy to convert time zones.


I hope this serves you too. I know it can definitely help people in the Eastern Standard Time zone to connect with me. If it inspires you to make your own time zone pictures, then that's great as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts