Year of the Mouse

It's the first year I celebrate Chinese New Year's to this degree. My girlfriend Ying celebrates with her family every year. This year she took me along to their family home on their cozy Gulf coast village. We lit fireworks, ate food, burned paper, and went to the local shrine. The burning of the paper ritual was new to me. They said it was about burning money as if we had an abundance. The idea is to send it to the heavens and expect the Gods to make it rain money this year. For me it just felt like a release of all my feelings surrounding money.

Inside the House of the Gods

It goes 'bataratarattattatarat!!!' And you have two seconds to get out of dodge.

I met the gatekeepers. This one is the Yin - calm and cool.

This one is the Yang - intense and hot.

That cute child is Ying's kid!

I just want the paperz.

Comments

Popular Posts