Return to Samui

Two weeks ago I went to Samui upon the invitation of Yura and Kate. They were couchsurfers who had stayed with me in Hatyai in December. Yura and I thought it would be a good idea to get together to make music together. And that's what happened.

A meeting of perspectives at great heights.

I took a bus from Hatyai to Donsak pier for 400 baht. The ferry ticket was also included in that price. Upon arrival, Yura greeted me at the pier and brought me to the main road where the Naton night market is. There I had some fried mussels. They told me I should rent a motorcycle and they were right. The motorcycled proved to be more than useful throughout my time there.

Then we went to the house of Nikita, a new friend of Yura's. Yura told me they met recently as he was performing his one man band routine at a night market. Nikita had shown interest in Yura's drum because he had recently bought himself one as well. 



Different walks of life coming together.

At the small get together we played that recently purchased djembe along with a melodica. At one point the melodica got passed to me and Yura asked if I would like to play it. It was my first time but I had fun with it. Everyone at the party was Russian except me. Nikita and the girl next to him in the photo live on Samui. The other Russian couple in between those two to the left and Yura and Kate tot he right were here from Moscow enjoying their vacation.  Amidst all the Russian chatter, I found that we have a lot in common too. For example, how they kept on insisting I eat and try this food and that. I still had the melodica in my mouth and wanted to finish playing before trying the barbequed tiger prawns.


For the next few days, Yura and Kate took me to beaches and waterfalls. We went to Kun Sri and Tan Rua waterfalls. We recorded some audio at both locations. Upon returning home, we began creating music with one of the audio files. For the next week, we would be spending our evenings producing music. I enjoyed both riding around the island on motorback as well as writing music together. 



Yura is capturing the sound at this particular point in the falls.

The white gold of the falls is pouring down, whether someone records its sound or not.

On my last night there, we went back to Nikita's house again for another little get together. I really enjoyed the good vibes and good atmosphere. I appreciate the hospitality. Nikita told me that he trades stocks. I asked him some questions about it. He showed me a piece of paper with various book titles written in Cyrillic. I could have sworn that one title read Technical Analysis. 

The energy of the falls provided an opportunity for dancing.

Nature provided the soundtrack to a simple session of freestyling.

Yura and I capturing a selfie photo after having captured enough photos and recordings of the falls.

This was a waterfall called Tan Rua at another location on the island. We shared the natural atmosphere with some visitors from Korat province.

The Big Buddha provided a nice platform of refreshment.

The view from the Big Buddha.

Kate wanted to show me a spot they really like behind the temple.

A local girl working in a bar told us not to swim in this condition of the water at Chaweng beach. We didn't listen. 

I met this big sister on the ferry coming over to the island. She had told me where she works and we stopped by for some tea.


Samui is now left behind in the distance as I ride the ferry back to the pier. From there I caught a van to Nakhon Sri Tammarat. I arrived at the Nakhon bus terminal feeling a little disoriented. I think I caught the last van to Hatyai where my friend Dee would be waiting. It was his last night in Hatyaibefore returning to Chonburi to continue his military service. We took the opportunity to catch up.


Comments

Popular Posts