Ace Beaming Sun Meets Hatyai Street Art


Today marks another milestone for Ace Beaming Sun as is shown in the photos. Ace Beaming Sun shirts have made their first appearance. And the manifestation comes at a vital point at the start of documenting street art in Hatyai. In my last post about street art, I made a point about wanting to document street art in Hatyai. Of course, this isn't limited to Hatyai but I do want art to expand in the city I call home. 

Hatyai isn't famous for its street art but perhaps we should add the word 'yet' because there is infinite potential here. Meanwhile, towns like Songkla, Yala, and Phuket's Old Town are a bit more pronounced when it comes to street art. The street art in these towns stand out and many people who visit take plenty of photos with the art on the walls. As for Hatyai, people know Hatyai for its abundant and delicious food options. 

The street art we encountered today is outside Pak Nam Temple (วัดปากน้ำ). Like many temples, there is art outside its walls. However, unlike many temples the style they've chosen is street art instead of a more traditional temple art. Temple art is a topic of its own and I would need posts upon posts to tell its story. For now, I would rather focus on the inspiring move to choose street art in a step away from tradition. 

Giants Among Us

On the arm of the giant is the word Sati (สติ), which can be translated as consciousness, awareness, or conscious-awareness. 

It's not unfair to say that Thailand is a traditional place. Thailand is rich in culture and history. Most people want to practice their traditions as is normal. However, sometimes the practice of age-old traditions means we have to give up on the contemporary. This isn't always the case. Thai people aren't stuck in the past. Many people have embraced modern technology that makes life easier. However, I do get the sense from some people that they don't want to do certain things in their culture just because they have to. This is also normal.

Nobody wants to do anything they're forced to do. Some of my students feel forced to learn English and I wish they could just choose not to. The younger generation will always be more likely to embrace global ideas and identities. The same cannot be said for most people above the age of 40. Now this being said, it's worth noting that religion is a deeply rooted structure within Thai culture. It often comes up in more intimate conversations with anyone above the age of 40. Meanwhile, it may not come up at all with anyone under the age of 25. Is that normal?

I'm not here to measure and determine what is considered normal and what's not. I am here to emphasize the fact that a temple made the decision to have street art outside of one of their buildings. This is definitely reaching for far more greatness than mere normal provides. It suggests that the temple heads aren't sticking to tradition just for the sake of tradition. It also says that they're willing to incorporate a contemporary form of art. And these are amazing implications. The street art style probably speaks to a lot more of the younger generation than traditional temple art would. I see this as a sign of a happening, relevant, and blooming place. 



Mask Beaming Sun

Goddess

Street art in Hatyai is developing.

I want to add that tradition and modernity can go hand in hand. There can be a healthy balance between the two. Sometimes it may seem as if we have to choose one over the other. And it's alright to pick and choose aspects that fit who you are. For example, social media is a very active part of today's world. However, I don't use much social media these days. I don't enjoy scrolling over people's posts for long periods of time. And time has shown me that life is just as well without it.

I like learning online. This is an aspect of modern life that I enjoy. Time, which was previously spent on social media, is now spent learning subjects I'm curious about and subjects I love. On the other end of the spectrum, there are aspects of a traditional life that I enjoy as well. For example, I now live in a small town right outside of Hatyai. The pace is slow and most people are friendly and kind. It beats the hustle and bustle of the inner city. I would rather have a community of kind people than people who are too busy to smile. 

Kindness definitely leans towards the traditional side of things, especially here in Thailand. Loving kindness and compassion are a central part of the teachings of the Buddha. It's strange how countries I've lived in such as Canada and Germany, as developed as they are, have much less kindness. Perhaps it suggests that more traditional collectives are operating in a more heart-based reality. Again, it's up to us to pick and choose. From the contemporary side of the spectrum, I choose learning online, playing games, and having a blog. And on the other end, I choose kindness and compassion too. Have it your way.

This is the left side of the mural.

This is the right side.

The message on the wall says 'Roy Yim Hatyai(ร้อยยิ้มหาดใหญ่).' In English it comes to "Big Smiles Hatyai." My own twist on the translation would be "Keep on smiling ear-to-ear Hatyai!"

Beaming Sun Team

Ying Beaming Sun

 

Comments

Popular Posts