First Contact


Sometimes it can be challenging to make first contact with couchsurfers who have just arrived. Not having data is a big contributor to the challenge. I don't necessarily recommend that everybody gets data because sometimes travelling with internet on your phone is the biggest distraction to travelling itself. I have shared photos and descriptions of my neighbourhood and my building on my CS profile's Couch Photos section. Check that out if you are planning to visit me soon! Apart from that I also share my location with surfers as well as giving them the internet password to my building. 

It's very interesting that on the same day that Juan, Yaiza, and I filmed this dance performance, I actually failed to make first contact with another surfer. I'm not going to write about the play-by-play of what happened because what's more relevant was what his friend told me later. Apparently, the surfer with whom I failed to make contact had another friend in town and preferred to spend his last day here with that friend. I believe that was the ultimate reason as to why he didn't persist. In fact, he had gotten onto my building's internet and told me that he was here. But when I stepped out to greet him he was gone like the wind. Apparently one of my neighbours had told him that I was in room #2 and he told me he had knocked on that door. But actually, my door doesn't have a room number on it. And I don't know why that neighbour of mine thought so.

The good story from that day is Juan and Yaiza's demonstration of what you could do when you arrive in front of my building with no data or phone service. Just dance! 

Comments

Popular Posts