Linguistic Music: End of Year Exams

Today I uploaded a new album with some tracks created last year - at the end of the year actually, hence the name of the album. End of Year Exams is both a collection of music I have created at the end of 2018 as well as a unique look into a handful of world languages. Can you guess which languages are being spoken? You may answer in the comment section of this blog! 







Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 5 feature the voices of couchsurfers speaking in their own languages. These tracks are just a handful among many more like them. I would like to upload more of these linguistic tracks in the future. I have a few in mind that will definitely be released sometime soon. Three of the tracks were recorded in my bathroom, aka the recording studio, with couchsurfers staying here with me. The track with Laia was recorded in a quiet corner of David's home in Penang. She was living there at the time and as a language enthusiast herself, she jumped on the idea of recording. She has spent some time living in different cultures and absorbing their languages. She was learning Melayu at the time and she finishes off the recording with an indicator of the fact. 

The tracks Changealling and A Heavenly Nap stray from the classical idea of dance music that the other tracks lean on. They offer less kick and rely more on the subtler elements.

Count to a Million is a track unlike any I've created before. It's quite new to me as well. And in fact, I was feeling unsure about uploading it. I had my friend Emmanuel come in and take a listen. After hearing his feedback, I felt better and clearer about uploading it. You can tell I got music on my mind.

Some of the tracks play with words in their titles. Onion Ease is alluding to my experimenting with effortless ease. Can you imagine layers and layers of effortless ease wrapped up in a ball like an onion? Now imagine that was a centre of energy you always had access to. Would you still subscribe to hard work if that were the case?

See Smart Students Succeed was inspired by some of my own students here. It also follows the pattern that Laia's Love of Languages sets in its title. Big On Dance Cam was inspired by highly enthusiastic dancers appearing on the big screen at a major basketball event in the States. I liked seeing that example of spontaneous dancing and wanted to capture the enthusiasm of the dancers in my title. Memory of Water is inspired from the research into how water crystals change their form based on the words intended onto them. Check out the work of Masaru Emoto for more about that. Final Completion is the last track I created in 2018. I had reached my goal of how many tracks I wanted to complete that year. 

I have set this as another Pay What You Can album. I invite donations as that will contribute towards me creating more content similar to this. Thank you for reading this and for checking out the music. I look forward to hearing your guesses as to what some of the languages are! Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts